Advancements in the field of genomics have made it possible to design prevention and treatment strategies based on individual variability. Thanks to these advances, personalized medicine has become a reality for the developed world.
Unfortunately, for most countries of South Asia, personalized medicine is still just a dream and will remain a dream if we do not act NOW.
Even though South Asia (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka) is divided by geographical and political borders, we all share the same ancestors. We have been vastly under-represented when it comes to large scale genetic studies. Relatively less is known about the genetic defects underlying diseases affecting South Asian population as compared to any other developed country in the world. We have taken the first steps to set the stage for South Asia focused personalized genomics.
what Have We done so far?
Few months ago we launched the YouGenomics India Project and asked USA residents of South Asian origin to participate in a pilot study in an attempt to improve the ancestry estimates for South Asia. A large number of individuals from Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka participated. And as promised... today, we are able to provide better ancestry estimates for the South Asian region. Many thanks to all our early adopters. Below is an example of our updated ancestry estimates. Previously we were able to predict ancestry only at the continent level, e.g. "South Asia". We can now go down to the sub-continent level and precisely split "South Asia" into three ancestral groups - “Central Indian subcontinent”, “Southern Indian subcontinent”, and “Bengal”. For sure there is a lot to be done but we have shown what can be achieved within a short period of time using the power of modern genetics and enthusiastic volunteers. Read more here.
There is still a long way to go but we have shown what can be achieved within a short period of time using the power of modern genetics and enthusiastic volunteers. We will continue to improve on the reference genetic profile representing different ancestral groups of South Asia. This reference panel will form the basis of all further efforts to fine-map the genetic diversity of South Asia and lay the foundation for personalized medicine.
We are opening up the YouGenomics India Project once again and inviting USA residents from Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka to take our revolutionary South Asia optimized DNA ancestry test and help us continue improving the reference genetic profile of South Asia.
WHY SHOULD I contribute to yougenomics india project?
- Your participation will make it possible for the present and future generations of South Asia realize the dream of personalized medicine.
- You will own your data and can download in the BAM format. Share and compare it with your family/friends or participate in other studies or learn to analyze genomic data yourself. You can use our tools to do some of the cool stuff (coming soon). Once you receive your ancestry results in the Gencove smartphone app contact us to get a download link to your BAM file.
- Know your Ancestry - which part of the world your ancestors came from. This information will be based on the current knowledge of genetics of South Asian population with improvements made possible by our early adopters from South Asia.
- Updates - the more individuals we sequence the more we will learn about the genetic signatures of South Asian sub-populations. Every time we update our reference panel your ancestry results will be updated. Check the FAQ for an example.
- Know your Oral microbiome - what microorganisms live in your oral cavity?
- AND... We are offering 20% discount on the test. You will get South Asia optimized ancestry estimates, oral microbiome analysis, raw data and regular updates to your ancestry only for $48.
We have collaborated with Gencove, a company founded by world leading scientists in the field of human genetics. Gencove's revolutionary ultra-low coverage sequencing assay on the Illumina platform will be used to sequence and profile your genome. Click here to learn more about the technology.
currently accepting USA residents from bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan and SRI lanka.
New users: Register now to get your ancestry test only for $48 (limited time offer)!
Existing Gencove Users: Fill in the form, click the registration button and login with your Gencove credentials to join the YouGenomics India Project for free!